YES!, the Category Posts Widget is escaping the WordPress sidebar and making its way into any place you can use Shortcode. I think the utility of such a feature is obvious, but to explicitly name at least one obvious use case it will be to give the list of the latest new/PR release. A more respectable place on your home page.
It is also creates a better experience for people that use page builders and tried to integrate the widget into the page builder content.
We are doing something innovative here. We are assuming that we will have to iterate several times before making it perfect. For that we will need your feedback 😉
How can you use it
The usage of the “widget in a shortcode” has several easy to follow phases:
- Just place the shortcode [
catposts] at whatever place in the post you want the list of posts to be displayed.
- Go to preview of the post (it doesn’t have to be preview, any way in which you get the admin bar to show up when you are looking at the post will work)
- Enter the customizer by clicking the “Customize” link located at the admin bar.
- Locate the section named “Category Posts Shortcode” and click it (it should be at the bottom of the sections list)
- Voila, you should see now all the settings in exactly the same way and functionality as you see them when configuring the widget when it is part of the sidebar.
- Once you are happy with the changes, just save and the new settings will be saved
The shortcode itself do not change as a result of the manipulation in the customizer and there is no need to add to it any attributes which will clutter your content.
- You can have only one Shortcode per post. This is just a current code limitation, and we will probably remove this restriction if there is demand for more then one.
- There is no simple way to duplicate the settings of one Shortcode into a short code in a different post
- There are all kinds of plugins that let you “include” Shortcodes in all kinds of places. The result of using this shortcode with them are unexpected. We might look into how to integrate with specific plugins if there will be a lot of demand.